SPENS, CARL GUSTAF [SSNE 6110]
Carl Gustaf Spens was a grandson of James Spens of Wormiston. He studied at the universities of Uppsala, Leiden and Utrecht before volunteering into the Livregiment in 1700. He became an ensign the same yearand a lieutenant in 1701. Spens quit Swedish service on 22 December 1707 and became a gentleman of the Bedchamber in the service of the Duke of Holstein-Gottrop. He died in Stockholm on 16 January 1751 and is buried in Floda Kyrka in Södermanland. He married Beata Oxenstierna and Beata Ribbing.
Sources: Riksarkivets ämnessamlingar. Personhistoria https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/A0073861_00127#?c=&m=&s=&cv=126&xywh=890%2C1534%2C5390%2C3109
A. Lewenhaupt, Karl XII:s Officerare Biografiska anteckningar (2 vols., Stockholm, 1920), II, p.645.
- SWEDEN, LIVREGIMENT
- Arrived 1700-01-01, as VOLUNTEER
- Departed 1707-12-22, as LIEUTENANT
- Capacity OFFICER, purpose MILITARY
- HOLSTEIN-GOTTROP, COURT
- Arrived 1708-01-01, as GENTLEMAN OF THE CHAMBER
- Departed 1721-05-29, as MARSHAL OF THE COURT, HOVMARSKALK
- Capacity ROYAL SERVANT, purpose ROYAL SERVICE
- SWEDEN, UPPSALA, UTRECHT, LEIDEN
- Departed 1699-12-21
- Capacity STUDENT, purpose ACADEMIC