MIDDLETON, ROBERT [SSNE 4879]
Text sourceSir Robert Middleton served at one time as a commissioner to the Dutch Republic. He also acted as secretary to the Vice Chancellor of Poland and secretary in London to Sir Robert Stuart [SSNE 529] when he tried to build up an anti-Swedish army in Britain. Unknown to Stuart, Middleton passed letters on to the British and Swedish ambassador, Sir James Spens of Wormiston.
Swedish Riksarkiv, Anglica, V Spens to Axel Oxenstierna, 10 March 1624; G.M. Bell, 'A Handlist of Diplomatic representatives 1509-1688' (London, 1990), p.195; Steve Murdoch, Network North: Scottish Kin, Commercial and Covert Associations in Northern Europe, 1603-1746 (Brill, Leiden, 2006), pp.263-264, 276.
- POLAND, LONDON, SIR ROBERT STEWART'S OFFICE
- Arrived 1610-01-01, as SECRETARY
- Departed 1624-01-01, as SECRETARY
- Capacity SECRETARY, purpose DIPLOMACY
- STUART KINGDOMS, THE DUTCH REPUBLIC
- Arrived 1614-12-29
- Departed 1615-05-05
- Capacity COMMISSIONERS, purpose DIPLOMACY
- SWEDEN, LONDON
- Arrived 1624-01-01
- Capacity SPY, AGENT, purpose DIPLOMACY