University of St Andrews

Postgraduate Opportunities

Geography & Sustainable Development, University of St Andrews

PhD Research Projects

Our School supports a vibrant community of research students, studying in the following fields within Geography and Sustainable Development:

Please see the relevant page for a list of current project ideas in your field, or see our Research pages for more information about ongoing research in our school.

The MPhil degree

For some students, the shorter 1–2 year MPhil research programme may be a more suitable option than the 3-year PhD programme, either as a stepping stone towards a PhD or as a fulfilling career development opportunity. The MPhil programme can be taken part-time. Many of the project topics advertised for PhD research above could be adapted to fit the requirements of the MPhil programme. If you are interested in this programme, please contact Helen Olaez.


Please see our Funding Opportunities page for further details.

Entry requirements

Anyone with a 1st class or 2.1 degree (or equivalent) in Geography or a cognate discipline can be considered for entry into our postgraduate programmes.

Application procedure

If you would like to apply for a PhD with the School of Geography and Sustainable Development, please email the PhD Postgraduate Secretary (Helen Olaez) with the following:

  1. Details of project - we required a specific proposal, at least 500 words of original, referenced writing.  We also need you to identify a potential supervisor (see our staff pages).  Alternatively, please see the above list for suggested projects and let us know which project you are interested in.
  2. Funding - identify a source of funding.   You may wish to look at the University webpage on funding 
  3. CV

When you are ready to proceed to a formal application, please see the detailed guidance on the University’s main Applications website.

Further Information

Please see the Postgraduate Prospectus, or contact the PhD Postgraduate Secretary Helen Olaez.