How to recycle printer cartridges and consumables
Top tip: Always reuse the bag and box that your replacement printer cartridge came in for packaging your cartridge to be recycled. Use the prepaid return label within your new cartridge box.
Use the prepaid return label within your cartridge box
Return your cartridge and/or toner (packaged and labelled) free to the manufacturer via Royal Mail.
Print a return label from the manufacturer's website (links listed below)
Return your print consumable (packaged and labelled) free to the manufacturer via Royal Mail. Please note: New users will need to register to use this service.
- Brother also has recycling service, with the ability to print pre-paid envelopes from the web: Brother printer cartridge label (PDF, 905 KB).
- Canon makes a contribution to WWF's freshwater programme for every toner cartridge collected: Canon printer cartridge label.
- The British Red Cross receives £1 for every cartridge returned: Epson printer cartridge label (PDF, 413 KB).
- Hewlett-Packard (HP)
- HP Planet Partners programme provides a free, easy, state-of-the-art return and recycling service for HP print cartridges: HP printer cartridge label (PDF, 228 KB).
- Clean planet programme -- you can return single print and toner cartridges by printing the free return label: Konica Minolta printer cartridge label.
- The Lexmark cartridge collection programme provides free of charge and easy to use methods of return for both laser and inkjet cartridges: Lexmark printer cartridge label (PDF, 397 KB).
- Océ cartridges must be returned in their original packaging to the University's recycling team. Print the Printer cartridge - Recycling address label (PDF, 12 KB) and complete the details. Return your (packaged and labelled) print consumable free in the internal mail.
- Any manufacturer not listed please contact the environment officer via email@example.com for further assistance.
Method 3 - Staff only
If none of the above apply: return your cartridge to the University's recycling team.
Print off the Printer cartridge - Recycling address label (PDF, 12 KB) and complete the details.
Return your print consumable (packaged and labelled) for free in the internal mail.