Ways to save energy in halls of residence
Top 10 Tips
- Switch off lights in empty rooms and close curtains at dusk
- Only fill the kettle with as much water as you need each time you boil it
- Cook with lids on pans and match ring size to saucepan size
- Wait until you have a full load before using your washing machine and use a lower washing temperature (between 30 -40oC)
- Use a shower instead of a bath when possible
- Switch your appliances (such as laptops and microwaves) off rather than leaving them on standby. This will save money, energy and CO2
- Make sure you wear lots of thin layers - this helps to trap body heat and dress in clothes made from cotton or wool
- Do not have your window open and the heating on at the same time, ventilate the room when you are not using it.
- Try using the oven the same time as your flatmates so that you limit the amount of energy usage
- Try to avoid cooking in the oven and instead use other ways of cooking such as boiling, stir frying, grilling, in order to save energy
New Fife Park apartments have brand new Induction hobs which are energy efficient. However keep in mind that you will not be able to use your own pots and pans but there is a variety of them provided from your Hall of Residence. For more information on Induction Hobs you can visit this website.
All Halls of Residence have laundry facilities you can use but please make sure you have a full load before using your washing machine. You could use a colour catcher in order to wash all your laundry at the same time or you could share a washing machine with one of your flatmates.
By following these tips you could make your Hall of residence the winner of this years Interhall Energy Competition!