Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
The TEFL introductory course is a 3-day course available for anyone who intends to take an integrated year abroad as part of their studies and who will be working as language assistants within an English language teaching setting, or for anyone who has thought about getting a higher level TEFL qualification and wants to know more about the profession.
Against a background in the principles of teaching English as a foreign language, students are introduced to key practical tools and strategies used in the classroom and given the opportunity to utilise these.
The aim is for students to:
- raise awareness of the practicalities and skills involved in teaching English
- to plan and deliver an effective lesson using created materials and receive tutor and peer feedback
Students on a previous course said:
- "Intensive, but really useful"
- "Very applicable skills"
- "A brilliant course"
- "It introduced me to aspects of teaching that I would never otherwise have thought about".
The following areas are covered:
- teaching young learners
- teaching the skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing
- exposure to unknown foreign language
- planning lessons
- communication in the classroom and managing behaviour
- producing materials
- dealing with errors and correction
- peer teaching and feedback
- being a language assistant OR teaching adults
See also the illustrative course timetable for more information about how the three days will be structured (20 hours of teaching):
TEFL_Illustrative_Timetable (PDF, 230 KB)
There is no formal accreditaton for the 3-day course, although successful participants will receive a certificate of attendance.
Applicants should be motivated native or fluent speakers of English, but there are no specific academic requirements for entry.
Dates and Fees
March: Saturday 17 March 2018 to Monday 19 March 2018 (inclusive).
May: Saturday 26 May 2018 to Monday 28 May 2018 (inclusive).
Second year Modern Languages students who have applied to the Language Assistantship programme for their WIYA (With Integrated Year Abroad) year are eligible for partial funding through Study Abroad and should contact ELT for full details.