Skip navigation to content

How to get your visa

In order to get your visa to study at the University, you first need a Confirmation for Acceptance to Study (CAS) number. This is the unique reference number that the University issues to you so that you can apply for your visa.

The duration of the visa you receive and who issues your CAS number depends on the type of offer you have from the University.

CAS numbers
Type of offerDuration of the visa
Who issues the CAS number


Pre-sessional course and degree University Admissions Office


Pre-sessional course ELT

What happens next

From mid-April and after your place on a pre-sessional course has been confirmed:

  • You will be sent a 'pre-CAS email' (to the contact email addresses you gave us in your application) from either ELT or Admissions
  • You must check the information in the email very carefully and confirm that the information is correct

When your confirmation is received, it will take around 5 working days before we are able to issue your CAS number:

  • You will be notified of the CAS number by email
  • You can then use the CAS number to apply for your visa

Payment of fees

After you have received your visa, you should pay your fees for the pre-sessional course.

Visas from the University

When you arrive for Orientation, a member of staff will check your passport and visa.

Please note that you will not be allowed to begin a pre-sessional course if the visa you present to us during Orientation does not show the unique University of St Andrews sponsor license number. This unique number - V63Q719H2 - is only displayed on visas issued by the University of St Andrews:


If you do not have an educational agent or representative to help you with the visa application process, please see the University's advice for international students.

If you have any further difficulties, please contact us at ELT.