University facilities and study spaces
When you come onto University premises, you must observe the Scottish Government guidance on physical distancing.
Signage will advise students and staff how to use a building or area safely. Please look out for these signs and follow their instructions.
Our Estates team is operating an enhanced cleaning service, with regular and frequent attention to touch surfaces. The team will also supply cleaning and hygiene materials such as hand sanitiser, wipes and hand towels. Please support them by using these resources.
You may find receptions and services desks have Perspex screens fitted. Where this has not been possible, floor-markers will indicate the required physical distance.
Teaching and social spaces
The University has implemented changes across teaching spaces. Laboratories and social areas may also have been reconfigured to maximise both space and safety.
Toilets, showers and kitchens
The majority of toilets and shower room facilities will follow the ‘one out, one in’ rule, and clear signage will be provided.
Small kitchens and tea-preparation areas within teaching spaces will also operate a ‘one out, one in’ rule.
The University Library will ensure that the essential reading for your modules is available online, while offering a scanning and ‘click-and-collect’ service to enable you to access other library resources. Access to physical collections will be made available in line with Covid-19 advice.
Library staff are available to help you through the chat facility on the library website.
University-managed cafés within School buildings will operate circulation and queuing management systems. Please be mindful of these, and expect that seating areas will be reconfigured in line with physical distancing rules.
Heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning systems will be reconfigured to avoid recirculation and provide maximum fresh air input and extraction. This may lead to some challenges in maintaining ideal comfort temperature and humidity levels. If you have any problems with room temperatures, contact the Estates helpdesk.
To help ensure University buildings are safe, you have the following responsibilities to:
- Stay at home if you or your household show any symptoms of Covid-19, or if you live in a home of multiple occupancy with someone who shows symptoms.
- Wear a face covering when moving in communal areas within University buildings, unless you cannot safely wear a face covering. The University will provide you with a pack of reusable face coverings. You may be refused access into buildings and facilities such as the Library if you do not have a face covering unless you are unable to wear one.
- Use provided cleaning materials to wipe down a desk, workstation or study area before and after you start to use it.
- Wash your hands before and after handling communal items.
- Minimise the time you spend in shared kitchens and bathrooms.
- Minimise non-essential visits to see friends in halls in which you are not resident.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often and do this for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
Fire evacuations and drills
During fire evacuations and drills, it is still essential to evacuate the building and go to the designated fire evacuation point, even if it is not possible to maintain physical distancing.