Job hunting on the internet
Many jobs are advertised online in a variety of different ways. Employers will usually carry their own vacancies within the content of their respective homepages, but may also publicise their posts elsewhere to catch the attention of you and any other potential applicant.
Before you start browsing for jobs, online or otherwise, it's a good idea to gather some thoughts and ideas about what kind of sector/organisation and even geographical location you might like to work in. Visit Career options for advice.
Commercial graduate job sites tend to attract adverts from large ‘blue-chip’ and public sector employers which take on substantial numbers of people each year onto ‘graduate programmes’. They are more likely to be useful to you if you are looking for vacancies in sectors such as business and finance and probably less helpful if you are interested in the arts, media, publishing, education, charities, etc.
- Prospects - a site aimed at graduates which includes information on all kinds of graduate options, a large vacancy database and a facility to sign up for job alerts.
- Target Jobs - an easy to use job search function and good information on different career options.
- Guardian UK 300 - an online resource of the 300 most popular graduate employers as voted by students and graduates
- Careers Group University of London JobOnline:find graduate jobs, schemes and internships
- All About Careers search for jobs
- CV Library search graduate jobs
- Inside Careers - very useful resources, although for a smaller range of popular career areas.
- Graduate Talent Pool UK government initiative - internships for new and recent graduates
- Grads.co.uk search for graduate opportunities
- Graduates.co.uk one of the UK’s fastest growing graduate jobs, internships, schemes and career advice websites
- Grad Diary provides information on graduate jobs, internships and top graduate employers in the UK
- Milkround - one of the more high profile graduate websites, with a large number of vacancies
- Give A Grad A Go specialise in publicising media & arts, design, sales, IT and banking & finance graduate vacancies
- Glass Door jobs and careers community which allows you to search companies for up-to date salaries, vacancies, reviews and actual interview questions.
- The Job Crowd search for company and career job reviews and jobs
- Graduate Jobs Specialist graduate jobs board
- Graduate Links one of the UK's leading graduate career sites with postings of schemes and vacancies from major employers
- GradPlus graduate careers website with job opportunities, careers advice, work placement listings and gap year opportunities
- Jobmanji search for graduate jobs in the UK
- Reed search for graduate jobs
- Simply Hired Job Search engine
- StrikeJobs Global Job Board
- Student Ladder Graduate schemes and internships across a variety of industries and sectors
- Student Gems provides paid one-off jobs and freelance projects which will help you to build good networking contacts for the future, and provide relevant experience for your CV
- Totaljobs.com - graduate zone of this huge site, which includes jobs advertised via recruitment agencies
- Wikijobs search for Graduate Jobs, Schemes and Internships
- WorkCircle search for graduate jobs throughout the UK
The sites listed below, and other similar pages, advertise a wide range of vacancies. Try performing a key word search with the word "graduate". The results found may not necessarily be graduate training schemes but could provide you with just the job to suit your circumstances.
- Adzuna online jobs board
- AllTheTopBananas UK job search engine
- Career Jet - UK job search engine
- EmptyLemon UK job search engine
- Guardian Jobs - general job site
- Jobbydoo UK job search engine
- Jooble job search engine
- Monster.co.uk huge site for jobs in the UK or Monster.com for international vacancies; includes jobs advertised via agencies
- Neuvoo a job search engine that indexes jobs directly from companies' career websites, placement agencies and job boards
- TalentPool candidate sourcing platform for students and graduates to find jobs and internships that match their skill set and preferences
- TipTopJob job board
Some employers will not openly advertise some of their jobs. This is when making good use of contacts gathered through Networking comes in handy. It is also a good reason to make use of some speculative applications.
Useful websites for researching companies/organisations:
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers website provides the very latest news about Britain's most popular graduate employers.
- TargetJobs - The Guardian UK 300.
- Prospects Employer Profiles
- The Job Crowd the UK’s leading graduate job review website. The site hosts thousands of reviews, all written anonymously by graduate employees at graduate employers.
- The Riley Guide - respected guide to employment opportunities and job resources on the internet
As well as advertising jobs online, most recruitment agencies can be contacted by email, telephone or in person. They can be useful for some sectors and for casual work, but make sure that you don't rely solely on agencies to find a graduate job. To use recruitment agencies successfully it is important to:-
- Select the agencies carefully - do they specialise in certain sectors or locations? do they deal with graduate entry positions?
- Make yourself known to the most appropriate consultant - by telephone or in person
- Find out as much as you can about a particular opportunity before you apply for it
- Keep in touch with the consultant regularly
- Recruitment agencies’ income comes from the employers not job seekers, so you should not normally be asked to pay a fee
- Edinburgh University Careers Service - Recruitment Agency Survey - useful list of agencies in the Edinburgh area
- Graduate Recruitment Bureau - a leading recruitment consultancy placing graduates into graduate jobs.
- Strathclyde University Careers Service - Glasgow based agencies
- The Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) website allows you to search for agencies which deal with employers by sector and location.
- Agency Central allows you to search for recruitment agencies by work sector and location. Includes useful information on average salaries for specific work sectors and regions of the UK.