What we offer
All appointments are currently being held via Microsoft Teams and are bookable online via CareerConnect.
These sessions cover quick queries relating to:
- CV, covering letter and LinkedIn advice (until Semester 1, 2021-22)
- Careers information resources
- Finding work experience/internships/graduate job opportunities
- Postgraduate study options and personal statement feedback
- Preparing for interviews
- Improving job applications/personal statements (please bring a copy of application form/personal statement)
- Finding useful contacts
- Preparing for psychometric tests for jobs and internships
- Module choice in relation to career options
This appointment type runs in term-time only and will recommence in Semester 1.
Outside of term-time, please book a Careers Appointment.
These sessions cover questions relating to:
- Feedback for developing your CV, Covering Letters and LinkedIn profiles. Please ensure you upload the relevant document or LinkedIn profile url to your appointment booking.
Please note, application form and further study personal statement feedback is provided through our Careers Appointments.
These appointments can only be made through a referral by a Careers Adviser during an initial 15 minute Careers Appointment.
Careers guidance appointments are available for more complex career related issues, including:
- 'I don't know what I want to do'
- Exploring, comparing and deciding upon career options
- Job hunting strategy
- Course change/year out advice
- Equality/diversity issues
We offer two main set-ups for Practice Interviews:
- Full interview practice simulation where the Careers Adviser can come prepared with questions, and then provide feedback.
- An informal conversation about interview strategy/tips/advice.
- We cannot provide feedback on detailed technical/subject-specific questions.
- Feedback will be given on your answers either at the end of the interview, or after each question, along with tips to develop your technique.
- We can provide help to prepare for different types of interviews (eg panel, video, telephone, competency-based).
- Careers Advisers will do their best to simulate an interview but will not be able to predict the exact questions or interview format you may experience.
Research Staff Careers Appointment are 45 minute sessions in which early career contract research staff meet with a Careers Adviser to discuss a variety of career-related issues.
What sorts of topics can I discuss during a Research Staff Careers Appointment?
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- career planning and decision-making
- exploring, comparing and deciding upon career options within and outside of academia
- finding job opportunities within and outside of academia
- identifying and exploring further postgraduate study options
- developing your network, including finding useful contacts and LinkedIn advice
- improving CVs, cover letters, job applications and personal statements (please ensure you bring a copy to the appointment)
- preparing for interviews
- preparing for recruitment processes, including psychometric tests.
Am I eligible to book a Research Staff Careers Appointments?
Early career contract research staff are eligible to book two Research Staff Careers Appointments per semester.
How do I book a Research Staff Careers Appointment?
Research Staff Careers Appointments are bookable on CareerConnect.You must create a 'University Staff Member' account. Registering is simple:
- Click on the registration link
- Complete the registration form
- Click on 'Create User'
Once your account has been approved, you will be able to view available Research Staff Careers Appointments. These are offered on a weekly basis and are bookable up to two months in advance, but no later than three days in advance.
If you already have an account set-up, simply login to CareerConnect.
What happens once I have booked a Research Staff Careers Appointment?
After you have booked your Research Staff Careers Appointment you will be contacted by the Careers Adviser (either Dr Philip Ireland or Dr Julie McLellan) who will advise on any additional information required prior to the appointment. You will be sent a MS Teams meeting inviting you to your 45 minute appointment. Please join at the allocated start point – if we are unable to contact you within 15 minutes, we will consider you absent.
For students and alumni (within three years of graduation) who are unable to access one of our bookable appointments, the Careers Centre offers the option of submitting online careers queries. Submit an online query via CareerConnect.
The Careers Centre seeks to reply to all such queries within 5 working days.
Online guidance terms and conditions(PDF, 120 KB)
Our appointments are open to:
- All matriculated University of St Andrews students
- Alumni (within three years of graduation)
- Staff members (graduate level)
Read our Eligibility policy for further details.
Booking an appointment
- All appointments are currently being held via Microsoft Teams until further notice. More information can be found at IT support. Download our guide Microsoft Teams joining instructions (PDF, 314 KB)
- When booking an appointment, please ensure your contact details are up to date on CareerConnect and on the booking form.
- Please ensure you join the MS Teams appointment at the scheduled start time - if you do not join within the first 5 minutes of the appointment we will consider you absent.
- We are unable to review documents, eg CVs or applications, before the appointment time (unless your appointment is a Practice Interview). Instead, we will ask you to share them with us when you book your appointment on Career Connect. The Careers Adviser will then screenshare via Teams at the start of the appointment.
When can I book?
- 15 minute Careers Appointments and CV Adviser appointments are released at 18:00 BST every day, bookable for the following day.
- Careers Guidance Appointments (after a referral has been made) and Practice Interviews can be booked up to 28 days in advance, and no later than 3 days in advance. This is to ensure the Careers Adviser has enough time to prepare for these appointments.
- All appointments are available Monday to Friday.
How can I book?
- Careers appointments, CV Adviser appointments and Practice Interviews are all bookable online via CareerConnect.
- Careers Guidance Appointments (45 minutes) can only be booked after a referral by a Careers Adviser during an initial Careers Appointment.
- Users can book a maximum of two Careers appointments per week and two CV appointments per week.
- Users are also entitled to two Career Guidance Appointments and two Practice Interview appointments per semester.
Cancelling an appointment
Demand for appointments is high. Users are expected to cancel any appointment they are unable to attend through CareerConnect