About this sector
You can read information about role responsibilities, salary, working hours, what to expect, qualifications, skills, work experience, career prospects and related roles on the following Prospects Job Profiles:
You might also see other job profiles of interest in the Leisure, sport and tourism profiles page (which gives links to the 14 profiles in the sector).
How to gain experience/internships
Opportunities in St Andrews
- Tourism is a big industry in St Andrews. A wide variety of local employers advertise relevant work experience opportunities through the Job Shop, eg The Old Course Hotel, Rufflets Hotel, MacDonald Rusacks Hotel, Dunhill, Blackhorn, Tourist Information Office.
- Get involved in Visiting Days organised by the university.
- Consider asking for some good quality work experience by making speculative applications and networking. You might find paid employment in the area of your choice, or simply a few days of work shadowing, but the experience will help you develop your ideas, your CV and give you contacts.
How to find a (graduate) job
Employers who have advertised jobs suitable for graduates include:
Job search websites:
Applications, interviews and assessment centres
See the following link for tips:
Relevant Postgraduate Study - is it a requirement?
Use the following link to find appropriate postgraduate courses in the sector:
Some options include the School of Tourism at Bournemouth University and the University of Westminster's Tourism Management MA.
For many positions in this sector a relevant undergraduate degree will be all that is necessary, though for more specialist positions extra qualifications or training might be required or preferred, though in many cases the necessary training will be provided on the job.
Key UK resources
Careers Centre resources
Use CareerConnect, your central careers hub, to:
- Book an appointment with a careers adviser
- Search for vacancies (Job Shop, internships/work experience, graduate jobs)
- Register for events
- The Careers Centre subscribes to GoinGlobal, a specialist website with information and job vacancies worldwide.
Professional Bodies, Trade Organisations & Journals/Magazines
General Travel, Tourism and Holiday Business careers information
The USA job market and recruitment timetables, for both internships and graduate jobs, for sectors of employment often differ from the UK.
The Careers Centre subscribes to the reputable independent USA careers information and vacancy provider Vault. The link below will take you directly to Vault subscription resources which cover this sector. You may find further useful and relevant resources linked from there as well.
- The Resort Internship and Seasonal Employment Guide - published by Internships, USA, this online resource lists thousands of positions with over 150 resort employers in 37 states. (Access via subscriptions)