You can read information about role responsibilities, salary, working hours, what to expect, qualifications, skills, work experience, career prospects and related roles on the following Prospects Job Profiles:
You might also see other job profiles of interest in the Marketing, advertising and PR profiles page (which gives links to the 18 profiles in the sector).
You might also see other job profiles of interest in the Sales profiles page (which gives links to the 11 profiles in the sector).
How to gain experience/internships
- Work experience is highly valued by marketing and sales recruiters. To gain a graduate position in either marketing or sales, it’s an advantage if you have relevant experience or have completed an internship.
- Many large graduate employers offer students paid summer internships - usually aimed at penultimate years or final years. Examples include GSK, L'Oreal, Procter & Gamble, Sky, Unilever, Virgin Media.
Job search websites
Alternative work experience resources (including 1st and 2nd year students)
- The Job Shop advertises part-time sales and marketing vacancies in St Andrews.
- The larger firms have a number of insight days and short work experience opportunities for earlier year students eg Sky Insight Days, Unilever.
- Try to arrange work shadowing by adopting a speculative approach - see networking and speculative applications for more advice.
- Get involved in marketing different events at university, or assisting companies with casual promotion work. Many recruiters seek Campus Brand Managers to promote their organisation and products.
- St Andrews Summer Internship Scheme - paid 4-6 week internships within different units of the University of St Andrews (marketing and sales vacancies often included).
- The Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing (IDM)
- Adopt an intern this website advertises paid internships in marketing and other areas, mainly in Scotland.
- ScotGrad - allows students to gain up to 12 weeks paid work experience and to enhance their CVs by working in businesses and social enterprises in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Marketing/sales vacancies sometimes advertised.
- Creative Access - paid, full-time internship opportunities in the creative industries for talented young people from under-represented black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) backgrounds. .
How to get a (graduate) job
Graduate training schemes
- Marketing and sales graduates are required across all sectors.
- Some graduate marketing and sales recruitment deadlines are as early as October and November, so it's important to apply early in your final year. However, graduate jobs can be advertised all year round.
- Search CareerConnect for relevant opportunities.
Job search websites
Making speculative applications
Smaller agencies may not advertise vacancies for graduates and speculative applications may be required.
Applications, interviews and assessment centres
The recruitment process for marketing and sales graduate training schemes may vary from company to company, but is likely to consist of the following:
- Online application
- Selection Tests
- Interview (possibly telephone/skype)
- Assessment Centre
Check the employer’s website as many provide details on their own individual recruitment and selection processes. Smaller organisations may be happy to accept a CV and covering letter and will have a less formal approach to the selection process.
Relevant Postgraduate study - is it a requirement?
Many marketing and sales recruiters typically value real experience rather than further academic study. Graduates can consider postgraduate courses either specialising in marketing or mixed with more general business subjects, but this is by no means essential and is not likely to secure a higher salary. Once you become a marketing or sales professional (or in some cases, before) you are likely to be encouraged to study for professional qualifications.
Key UK links and resources
Careers Centre resources
Use CareerConnect, your central careers hub, to:
- Book an appointment with a careers adviser
- Search for vacancies (Job Shop, internships/work experience, graduate jobs)
- Register for events
- The Careers Centre subscribes to GoinGlobal, a specialist website with information and job vacancies worldwide.
General marketing and sales careers information
Professional Bodies, Trade Organisations & Journals/Magazines
The USA job market and recruitment timetables, for both internships and graduate jobs, for sectors of employment often differ from the UK.
The Careers Centre subscribes to the reputable independent USA careers information and vacancy provider Vault. The links below will take you directly to Vault subscription resources which cover this sector. You may find further useful and relevant resources linked from there as well.