Museums, Galleries and Collections Institute
Collections, Audiences and Ideas
The Museums, Galleries and Collections Institute (MGCI) was set up for research, education and training in cultural heritage, with a particular focus on museums, art galleries and historic houses, and their collections.
The Institute was founded upon the expertise built up over many years from running our Museum and Gallery Studies courses, which have helped to establish St Andrews as Scotland’s leading centre for training and research in the heritage sector.
Collections are at the heart of museums, and of our museum training. The importance of collections has been recognised in recent research and publications. Collections, in the widest context, are the starting point for the research of the Institute.
Aims of the Institute
- to be a focus for quality research on the history, theory and practice of museums
- to initiate, carry out and promote research
- to facilitate the research of others
- to encourage interdisciplinary and collaborative research
- to research further the training needs of the sector
- to enhance the teaching portfolio by developing short courses for CPD, career development and specialist expertise