Complaints handling procedure
The University of St Andrews recognises that there may be occasions when a student or member of the public feels that the level of service or treatment that they have received from the University has fallen short of what might reasonably be expected.
The University has developed and implemented a complaints procedure that is compliant with the Scottish Higher Education Model Complaints Handling Procedure, published by the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO). That procedure and information that supports its implementation is available here. Students should note that the University has separate procedures for dealing with Academic Appeals, which fall outwith the scope of this [SPSO] Procedure. The University is required to present a report to the SPSO annually on the operation of its Complaints Handling Procedure. These reports are available from Annual reports.
- Complaints handling procedure (PDF, 534 KB)
- Complaints procedure - a guide for members of the public (PDF, 347 KB)
- Complaints procedure - a guide for students (PDF, 354 KB)
- Stage 2 Complaints form (Word, 25 KB)
- Dealing with abusive, persistent or vexatious complaints and complainants (PDF, 280 KB)