University managed properties

‌University managed properties are privately owned properties let through the University. The properties are located throughout St Andrews ranging in size from two person to five person with one larger property for nine. The fixed term contracts for these properties run from either September to August each year, with a limited number available from June to June.

Below are a list of properties managed by the University of St Andrews.  The rents quoted do not include costs for heat, light & power or any telephone/internet provision and tenants will be responsible directly to the utility providers.‌

1 bedroom properties

2 bedroom properties

3 bedroom properties

4 bedroom properties

5 or more bedroom properties


Private Landlords

Private Landlords who are interested in the University of St Andrews managing their property can access further information on our Direct Lease Scheme Information (Word, 57 KB)

Please contact Property Services by emailing

For more information, please see the frequently asked questions below. Please click on the question to expand the content:


Can I apply for halls as well as direct lease property?

No, you can only apply for one or the other.

How do I obtain an accommodation reference?

Reference request forms are available from Student Accommodation Services for direct lease properties.  Alternatively email Student Accommodation Services at

If I am unsuccessful with my application for direct lease, what should I do?

You will need to secure your own accommodation within the private sector. The following may be of help:

Money matters

How do I pay my deposit for a direct lease property?

Student Accommodation Services are no longer taking any deposits for properties managed or owned by the University.

How can we pay our accommodation fees?

Payment arrangements can be made with our Finance staff who are based in the Old Union Reception (ASC) offices at 79 North Street. They can be contacted by e-mail on and or by telephone on 01334-462585/2586/2020.  You are also able to check your fees on line using your MySaint account and further information on the different payment options available from the University can be obtained using the following link:

Paying your accommodation fees

Do I need to pay council tax in a direct lease property?

Accommodation wholly occupied by student residents will normally be exempt from any Council Tax charges levied by the local council for the services they provide (water, sewerage, waste collection, street lighting etc

Further information can be found from the following links: 

Fife Council - Council tax 

Fife Council - Council tax exemptions

or by contacting Fife Council direct at:

Fife Council
Finance & Asset Management Services
Fife House
North St


How can we collect our keys?

Unless otherwise advised your keys will be available for collection from Student Accommodation Services from the date your contract is scheduled to start and during office hours the contact details are as follows:

Agnes Blackadder Hall
North Haugh
St Andrews
KY16 9XW

Phone:+44 (0)1334 46 7010

If you anticipate arriving out with our normal office hours, please let us know in advance so that alternative arrangements for the collection of your keys can be made.


We would like to get the utilities turned on before we arrive - what is the proper procedure for this?
The utilities will already be switched on for your arrival however you will have to set up the accounts for the property in your own names, using the meter readings provided for you on the inventories, which you will get from us with your keys.
What is the procedure for paying for Utilities - do we pay them directly or through the University?

You will have to set up the accounts for the property in your own names, using the meter readings provided for you on the inventories and you will make payment directly to the utility company you decide to use.

It's my understanding that there are different electricity and gas companies we could choose from - is that true?

You are free to use any supplier you like to provide your utilities.  Transco (Tel:08706 081524) and Meter Point Administration Sevice (Tel:0330 101 0300) will be able to confirm who the current suppliers are for your property and you will also be able to get current prices etc. from utility providers from one of the web comparison sites.


How do I request a repair?

Email your request to Student Accommodation Services at

In case of an emergency or should I get locked out of the building late at night, who do I need to call?

Any issues that arise out with our office hours should be directed to our Out of Hours staff who can be reached on +44 (0)1334 46 8999 or extension 8999 from an internal phone.

What is provided

Do we need to have a television license?

You must be covered by a valid television license to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on television. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box and DVD/VHS recorder. Further information on how to obtain a television license can be found on the TV Licensing website.


Is there a telephone connection and internet service?

Telephone and internet service provision is a private arrangement tenants have to make directly with the service provider of their choice. You can arrange to have the telephone connected and the service set up in your name by contacting British Telecom or a similar provider and any charges would obviously depend on the level of service you arrange. Further information on how to go about this along with costs etc. can be obtained from the BT website.

It is however also worthwhile checking current prices etc. from other utility providers from one of the web comparison sites such as:

Is my University property furnished?

University managed properties are all fully furnished and equipped.  The following standard inventory will give you an idea of what is provided as part of the let:

Bedrooms (per student) - maximum 2 persons per room

1 x 3ft bed and mattress, 1 duvet, 1 pillow, 1 mattress protector

1 wardrobe, 1 chest of drawers, 1 desk/table, 1 desk chair, 1 study lamp, 1 waste bin, 1 mirror, bookshelves (movable or fixed - approx 6ft per person)

Sitting/Dining Room

One easy chair or equivalent per student

Adequate dining table & chairs for tenants

Coffee/occasional tables


1 cooker (oven & hob), 1 Fridge or Fridge Freezer, 1 washing machine, 1 kettle, 1 iron, 1 ironing board, cutlery & crockery, pots & pans, kitchen utensils, rubbish bin

Cleaning Utensils

Vacuum cleaner, dustpan & brush, sweeping brush, floor mop & bucket, toilet brush & holder