Frequently asked questions

Essential information regarding your residence and stay here at the University can be found in the residents guide 

If you have any further questions please check the list of Frequently Asked Questions below.

Please click on the question to expand the content:


When can I apply?

The online application form for entrant students will open on 15 March.  Once you receive and accept an offer  of a place to study at the University it is time to apply. Please do not wait for your offer status to change, regardless of whether your offer is conditional or unconditional.

Can I apply for halls as well as University Managed properties?

No, you can only apply for one or the other.

Why do I get an error when I try to logon or apply online?

You can only apply for Accommodation if you have accepted a place to study at the University; you must have accepted a Conditional or Unconditional (Firm or Insurance) offer to apply for Accommodation online. Also, you must wait 24hrs from acceptance of a University place to allow the Accommodation system to be updated. After 24hrs of accepting a place of study you can apply for Accommodation online.


Can I extend my contract?

Postgraduate students may email with their request. You will be contacted as soon as possible.

Can I terminate my contract? Is there a penalty for cancelling it?

Please refer to the "Terms of Occupancy" which forms part of your contract for more information and any break-in-contract clauses, then email with your request. You will be contacted as soon possible.

How do I go back to my accommodation contract after accepting it?

You are able to log onto your accommodation online contract, print it out and go back to it as many times as you want.

I've accepted my offer, but I can't get a visa, what do I do?

You must notify Student Accommodation Services as soon as possible if you are having Visa problems. If you do not notify us that you are cancelling your accommodation and simply fail to show up, your room will be held until the first Saturday after the start date of the contract.  After this time your room will be re-allocated.  You will also be liable to pay the full residence fees as per the terms and conditions

I am taking a leave of absence what do I need to do regarding my accommodation?

In the first instance any student that wishes to take a leave of absence should speak to the Faculty Associate Dean Students who will give them permission.  Regarding your accommodation, contact Student Accommodation Services and your residence to confirm the date you will be leaving the accommodation.  Student Accommodation Services will amend your contract once they have written confirmation from Registry that your  leave of absence has been authorised and when the residence confirms you have cleared your room and returned your keys.

I am on a leave of absence how do I apply for accommodation for my return?

Entrant Students

Once you are a matriculated student and are in accommodation and decide to take a leave of absence, on your return you will be classed as a returning student therefore we cannot guarantee you accommodation and you would therefore need to apply online with the other returning students in February of each year.  You will not receive any confirmation from Student Accommodation Services as to how and when to apply so please email the office to confirm the actual date of when to apply.  All information will be available on Wednesday memos and on the accommodation website from end of January.

Returning Students

Any returning student that takes a leave of absence will have to apply through the online application for the next academic year.  Any student who takes a leave of absence and is coming back in semester 2 should apply on the Accommodation online application form which is available via MySaint in November. We cannot guarantee any returning student accommodation

How do I obtain an accommodation reference?

References are available by emailing for halls of residence and by emailing for University Managed Properties.

Arrival and Leaving

Can I ship luggage from overseas ahead of my arrival in St Andrews?

Luggage should only be sent to arrive after the students are in residence. The University cannot guarantee secure storage of luggage, and belongings will not be covered by the University's block insurance policy until the student is in residence.

When and where can I collect my key for halls of residence?

Please refer to the arrivals for details of collecting keys for your residence.

How many suitcases can I bring?
This is up to you! Bear in mind - there is limited storage space in all the halls and your room. If you are sharing a room, you also have to share the space!
Can I arrive a few days earlier?
Postgraduates who are beginning their research project prior to the start of pre-sessional / Freshers' Week may request to arrive early. The reasons would need to be confirmed in writing by the supervisor. Requests for accommodation before the normal date for academic reasons can only be granted if there are suitable rooms vacant at that time.
Do I need to empty my room over a holiday period?

Please refer to the Resident's Guide as this will depend on the type of accommodation contract which you have.

Self-catered accommodation for Undergraduates include the Christmas and Spring Vacations. Standard catered and John Burnet Annexe does not include the Christmas vacations. David Russell Apartments is available for the Christmas vacation on a self-catered basis. You can leave your belongings in your room. All Undergraduate contracts include the spring vacation however meals are not provided in catered residences.

All Postgraduate accommodation include both the Christmas and spring vacations. Deans Court is self-catered throughout the Christmas vacation but is catered in spring.


What assistance is there for students with disabilities or limiting long term illness?

The University gives all possible support to disabled students and those with limiting long term illness. To enable us to work with you to help meet your individual requirements, it is important that you provide full information on your application form of anything that is likely to impact on your accommodation needs.

The University understands that disability is not always visible and related to physical impairments and Student Services and Wardennial Teams can also provide additional support. We have a number of adapted rooms and we encourage you to visit the accommodation to see facilities and talk to Student Accommodation Services before you accept a place in residence. If you want us to take account of your special circumstances, please let us know as soon as possible.

For further information on disabled access please visit Disabled Go.

Money matters

Are Christmas and spring vacations included in my contract?

Self-catered en-suite accommodation for Undergraduates include the Christmas and spring vacations (this does not include self-catered standard in Gannochy which will be closed for Christmas Vacation). Standard catered and John Burnet Annexe do not include the Christmas vacations. David Russell Apartments is available for the Christmas vacation on a self-catered basis. You can leave your belongings in your room. All Undergraduate contracts include the spring vacation however meals are not provided in catered residences.

All Postgraduate accommodation include both the Christmas and spring vacations. Deans Court is self-catered throughout the Christmas vacation but is catered in spring.

Do I need to insure my belongings?

Please see the student accommodation insurance webpage for information about insurance.

How can I pay my accommodation fees?

Information on how to pay can be found in the paying your fees section of the University website.

How do I open a UK bank account?

Information on opening a bank account can be found on the University web pages under Opening a bank account - UK students or Opening a bank account - international and EU students.

What are hall subscriptions?
The hall subscription is used by the Student Residents Committee to cover the costs of social events including the Hall ball and to defray general student charges for newspapers, television and other amenities. It is also used to pay for damage caused in communal areas or to communal facilities, which is not attributable to individual students nor commensurate with fair wear and tear. Hall subscriptions are included in the residence fee shown on your accommodation contract.
What are the accommodation fees?
For full information on accommodation fees, please view Postgraduate residence fees.
How do I pay for Utilities in a University Managed property?

You will have to set up the accounts for the property in your own names, using the meter readings provided for you on the inventories and you will make payment directly to the utility company you decide to use.

You are free to use any supplier you like to provide your utilities.  Transco (Tel:08706 081524) and Meter Point Administration Sevice (Tel:0330 101 0300) will be able to confirm who the current suppliers are for your property and you will also be able to get current prices etc. from utility providers from one of the web comparison sites.


How many meals do we get?

This information is in the conditions of let which is part of your accommodation contract. If you are on a catered contract at David Russell Apartments, this includes 14 meals per week: breakfast and dinner from Monday - Friday, and breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday.

At Dean’s Court, students get 15 meals per week: breakfast, lunch and dinner from Monday - Friday.

What can I expect?

Our menus operate on a five week cycle, with meals taken in the dining rooms of the halls. Each team of chefs aim to vary items to incorporate seasonal foods. Both daily and weekly menus are displayed at or near the point of service in each residence.

All of our catered halls have achieved the Healthyliving Award which is a national award for the foodservice sector in Scotland. The main aim of the award is to encourage our customers to eat more healthily and the award criteria are based on the general principles of a healthy balanced diet by ensuring that healthier ingredients and cooking methods are used, to keep fat, salt and sugar to a minimum and that options such as water, low fat dairy products and fruit and vegetables are always available.

What do I do if I have a specific diet or food allergies?

Please view the catering webpages for information on what food is provided within our catered residences.  Catered residences provide a vegetarian option at each meal. We do not cater for vegan, halal or kosher diets. If you are in catered accommodation, and have a food allergy or specific dietary requirement (such as a peanut allergy or coeliac) you should speak the catering team via email Once you have been offered a room, please contact the Chef Manager of your residence to discuss your needs. Details of how to contact your Chef Manager can be found on the Hall Specific sheets at the back of the Resident's Guide.


Am I allowed pets in my room?
No - all pets are strictly forbidden in all University property.
Are there laundry facilities in the halls?

Each hall laundry facilities available for students to use.  Most laundries are operated by Washstation and are operated by using their App.  2 laundries in DRA are operated by Circuit and these also operate by using their App.  Please look at the appropriate website for further information on the App, Payments, Prices and laundry availability.

Can I have a guest to stay?

If you are in a shared room you may only entertain guests if you have a prior arrangement with your roommate.  If you are living in a shared house or flat then you should also check with your housemates.  You may have a temporary guest for a maximum of 3 days in any week and no more than twice in a four week period.  All overnight guests must be recorded by either notifying the Residence Management, Porter or by completing the guest signing in book if there is one available.  Guests are not permitted during freshers week.

Can you smoke in residences?
No, all University residences are non-smoking as it is a fire risk. Under The Prohibition of Smoking in Certain Premises (Scotland 2006), it is against the Law to smoke in Residence and may be against the Law to smoke in enclosed areas such as doorways.  Please check the Hall Specific sheets at the back of the Resident's Guide for information on where it is appropriate to smoke Anyone found smoking in University residences is subject to disciplinary action which could lead to eviction from Residence.
What about candles?
Candles, joss sticks, etc are prohibited. If candles, joss sticks, or cigarettes are found but have clearly not been lit, these items will be confiscated until you can remove them from the residence - there would be a disciplinary process and appropriate fine. Be warned - the reappearance of similar items may result in eviction from the residence. For further information, refer to the conditions of let which forms part of your accommodation contract.
Does each bedroom have a sink?
Some standard catered residences may have sinks. Other self catered accommodation, i.e. Albany and Fife Park, does not. En-suite rooms will have a separate shower and WC.
I have my own TV in my room. Do I need a separate TV Licence?
Yes. In some cases you and your flatmates will each require your own separate licence for the TVs in your rooms, and in others one licence may be sufficient between all your flatmates, please refer to the TV Licensing section.
Is there a bus service to the halls?

Please check Travel plan for further information.

Is there a guest room I can book for my parents when they bring me to St Andrews?

Unfortunately, we do not have guest rooms in the residences. Parents requiring overnight accommodation should contact the St Andrews Tourist Board - +44 (0)1334 47 2021.

What is provided in my room?
Each study bedroom has a mattress and bed, either a free standing or built in wardrobe, a study desk, a lamp and operator chair.
What size are the beds?

In DRA, FPA and Agnes Blackadder Hall the beds are double (approx 4' 6") apart from disabled access rooms where they are single beds (approx 3'). The shared rooms in DRA are single beds and the shared rooms in Agnes Blackadder Hall have a double bed and a queen (4'). Andrew Melville Hall has small double beds. All other residences have single beds.

What should I bring with me?

Can I bring a car?

The routes most commonly travelled by students are well covered by public transport and St. Andrew’s University is committed to encouraging students and staff to consider alternative modes of transport in a bid to reduce the Universities overall carbon footprint. For more information on alternative transport options see the University's Travel Plan. 

With the University's sustainability and green initiatives and the green transport plan, we do not encourage students to bring cars to the University. There are car parks at Agnes Blackadder Hall, Andrew Melville, DRA, Fife and Albany Parks, but extremely limited parking elsewhere. A permit is required to park in one of these car parks and can be obtained from the Estates department.

Can I bring a bicycle?
Yes you can but you are not permitted to store bicycles within the residences. Bicycles must be stored in cycles sheds where available or in cycle racks. Further information on where you can store your bikes can be found on the Hall Specific Information sheets at the back of the Resident's Guide.
Can I bring my own personal fridge?

No. For special medical requirements, pharmacy fridges can be provided on request during the application process.  Please state the reason in the specific requirements section of the application form.

Can I bring my own personal toaster / kettle etc?

You are advised NOT to bring your own personal toaster or kettle.  As the overloading of power circuits may result in a fire risk students are prohibited from using all high powered electrical equipment in study bedrooms e.g. heaters (unless supplied by the residence), kettles, irons, electric blankets, toasters, refrigerators, microwaves, electric rings, and cooking apparatus of any kind.

There are communal kitchen or pantry areas in all residences where kettles/toasters are available for use.

What electrical equipment can I bring?

Please see full list Electrical Equipment

Any kitchen equipment you bring into your accommodation MUST be purchased in the UK.  Due to limited storage in the kitchen and pantries we advise that purchase should be made after arrival.

What about other electrical equipment such as laptops, phone chargers, hairdryers, hair straighteners, etc?

Information regarding electrical equipment can be found here

Do we have to bring pots / pans / cutlery?
What you need depends on where you have been allocated to and whether you are catered or self catered. Please refer to the Resident's Guide for further information.
Is bed linen provided?

Bedding (duvet, pillows, sheets, duvet cover and pillowcases) are not provided. You will need to bring your own or purchase a bedding pack from the UniKitOut shop prior to coming to the University. Quote ANDREW10 to receive a 10% discount.


What happens if I don't get on with my room mate?

Life in University Halls may at first appear very different to your previous living environment. However, within a few weeks most students find they have settled in and are enjoying life in their Hall. Wardennial Teams take responsibility for encouraging a sense of community within each hall and are experienced at working sensitively with students on a wide range of issues. If you are experiencing any difficulties it is important that you first try to resolve any issues by talking to a member of the Hall Wardennial Team, they can then liaise with Student Accommodation Services directly if your situation is urgent.

Who do I go to if I have a question?

Information on who to contact can be found on the Hall Specific Sheet at the back of the Resident's Guide

If you have a question regarding the facilities in your room or residence, or the housekeeping services, please speak to the Residential Services Manager or one of his/her team.  If you have a question regarding catering please speak to the Chef Manager in your residence.

If you have a question relating to your contract, please contact Student Accommodation Services.

If you have a question relating to a welfare issue, the hall community or social events, please contact your Warden or one of his/her team.

If you have a question relating to payment of your accommodation fees, please speak to Finance.

Special Requirements

How do I fill in the form?

You have to fill in the form with your accommodation preferences. We cannot accept the names of the individual halls of residences. This is to avoid disappointment when the offers are made. The form has drop-down lists from which you can make your choices. You can only select a preference type once.  Please make sure you read all the information regarding residence fees and dates the accommodation is available for to ensure you are putting your preference in the correct order.


There are 4 different types of accommodation preferences to choose from:

  • En-suite self-catered
  • En-suite catered
  • Standard catered
  • Standard self-catered


Can select named residences from the drop down list depending on the type of accommodation preferred which are:

  • En-suite self-catered
  • En-suite self-catered studio apartment
  • Standard catered
  • Standard self-catered
  • University Managed