Transfer requests

Please note that it will not be possible to offer a transfer to everyone who requests one.  Hall bed spaces are allocated at the beginning of each year; only occasionally do vacancies arise, allowing for a very limited number of transfers to take place, especially for central residences. Transfers are limited to one move per student in any academic year. All transfers are authorised by Student Accommodation Services and will only be considered if referred to us by the warden of your current residence.

Life in University halls may at first appear very different to your previous living environment. However, within a few weeks most students find they have settled in and are enjoying life in their hall. Wardennial teams take responsibility for encouraging a sense of community within each hall and are experienced at working sensitively with students on a wide range of issues. If you are experiencing any difficulties it is important that you first try to resolve any issues by talking to a member of the Hall Wardennial Team, they can then liaise with Student Accommodation Services directly if your situation is urgent.

If you wish to set up a meeting with the wardennial team in your residence, please drop in during their surgery hours or email them at:

Student Accommodation Services will only contact you if a transfer is possible.  Transfer requests are NOT considered in date order, instead the reasons for the request are considered.  If a transfer is possible an offer will be sent to your University email address by 1pm on a Tuesday. Please check your email account regularly.  Any transfers that take place must be completed within 24 hours of collecting the key for the new accommodation and returning the keys for the accommodation you are leaving. If the key is not returned within 24 hours then you may be charged residence fees for both rooms. Any student who requests a transfer and subsequently changes his/her mind is asked to immediately notify Student Accommodation Services.

If a move is arranged the residence fees will be adjusted for the date the move takes place. This includes the adjustment of hall subscriptions included in the residence fee.  

Please refer to the Terms and Conditions of Occupancy regarding the liability incurred if wishing to leave University owned accommodation completely i.e move into the private sector.

Please note:  All disciplinary records are checked prior to transfer offers being made.