About the project
Find out about the aims for the Eden Campus Energy Centre project and the teams responsible for driving it.
- To achieve a step change in carbon emissions.
- To control energy costs.
- To establish a green supply chain with local economic benefit.
- To be a low carbon exemplar and demonstrate the learning journey.
- To implement the Guardbridge Guarantee.
- 6.5MW biomass boiler, fuel processing and handling system.
- 6km flow and return transmission hot water pipeline.
- Local district heating network to 17 building complexes at North Haugh.
- Buildings integration and controls for plant rooms.
- Design, build and operate contract.
- £25 million total project cost.
- 34.3 GWh of heat.
- Phased carbon saving potential of at least 10,000 tonnes.
The Guardbridge Guarantee is a concept that seeks to embed a culture of local investment across all companies involved in the Eden Campus project. Specifically, the Guarantee will deliver the following elements:
- The expansion of the University's existing apprenticeship programme within our Estates Department Trades section. There will be a real opportunity to provide work placements for apprentices within the Eden Campus Energy Centre to learn directly on the job in a way similar to how staff are placed within the new buildings that the University has constructed.
- Opportunities for local start-ups in areas of catering, cleaning, energy systems maintenance and engineering working closely with the University's energy partner.
- The creation of more highly skilled and better paid jobs, and to foster a self-sustaining and ambitious climate of entrepreneurial advance.
- To encourage economic activity and investment across Scotland, thereby sharing the benefits of growth, and to secure a high quality environment today and a sustainable legacy for future generations, which will act to strengthen Scotland’s positioning as a great country to do business.
- Project manager – Rider Levett Bucknall
- Architect – Cullinan Studio
- Mechanical and electrical engineer – Buro Happold
- Civil and structural engineer – URS
- Cost consultant – Rider Levett Bucknall
- Planning – Jones Lang Lasalle
- EIA – Environ