The StAndard - the University's staff magazine
The StAndard is written by staff for staff of the University. It was launched in March 2004, as a direct response to concerns and desires expressed in the staff survey of 2003. Edited by the Press Office and designed in-house, The StAndard involves members of staff from every corner of the University, regardless of status or seniority.
Its main aim is to increase communication and collegiality across the University, by engaging staff with profiles, features and news pieces on a range of University colleagues and initiatives.
Anyone can write and submit articles - news, views or reviews - for the magazine, which is published three times a year: March, June and November.
Alternatively, you may wish to volunteer or nominate a 'victim' for the 'hot seat', or pose a historical challenge for our Special Collections team. Perhaps you would like to see your School, Department or Unit featured, or learn more about how the University is dealing with a burning issue.
If you would like to contribute or make a suggestion email email@example.com
Issue 18, June 2010
Out of St Andrews
- Ten years and going strong
- On the track of a giant scorpion
- Opening the doors to Medicine
The StAndard, issue 18 (PDF, 2,325 KB)
Issue 17, November 2009
- From Loch Ness to Bollywood.
- Great Scot!
- University House - through the keyhole.
The StAndard, issue 17 (PDF, 7,598 KB)
Issue 16, June 2009
Neverland in St Andrews
- We're in this for the long haul.
- Changing lives.
- The skull on The Scores.
The StAndard, issue 16 (PDF, 5,724 KB)
Issue 15, November 2008
Professors of rock
- The show must go on.
- Courting the big decisions.
- Building team spirit at St Andrews.
The StAndard, issue 15 (PDF, 3,245 KB)
Issue 14, June 2008
Here comes the summer
- Virtually possible.
- From Land's End to John O'Groats.
- A bird's eye view of St Andrews.
The StAndard, issue 14 (PDF, 3,528 KB)
Issue 13, March 2008
The story of the St Mary's skeleton
- Very superstitious.
- ELT's open door.
- Pam goes to the palace.
The StAndard, issue 13 (PDF, 8,537 KB)
Issue 12, November 2007
- A league of our own.
- St Andrews and Tibet.
- Female firsts.
The StAndard, issue 12 (PDF, 3,070 KB)
Issue 11, June 2007
The art of kendo
- Catering for retirement.
- St Andrews in Malawi.
- Cultivating the curriculum.
The StAndard, issue 11 (PDF, 3,177 KB)
Issue 10, March 2007
The language of dance
- The Lean dream.
- SMRU by royal appointment.
- Higher education and the May election.
The StAndard, issue 10 (PDF, 2,159 KB)
Issue 9, November 2006
Turning the corner
- Field of dreams.
- The changing face of Medicine.
- Echoes of the past.
The StAndard, issue 09 (PDF, 3,081 KB)
Issue 8, June 2006
Lighting up research
- In with the IT crowd.
- For the record.
- Who cares?
The StAndard, issue 08 (PDF, 2,442 KB)
Issue 7, March 2006
I'm with the band
- Development's dynamic duo.
- Mail room's first class service.
- The future of our finances.
The StAndard, issue 07 (PDF, 1,500 KB)
Issue 6, November 2005
Classic owners rally together
- 999 - Staff lifesaving missions.
- It's all academic.
- Does the university actually exist?
The StAndard, issue 06 (PDF, 1,613 KB)
Issue 5, June 2005
Watch the birdie! One man's view
- The quad with the thorn in its side.
- The three degrees.
The StAndard, issue 05 (PDF, 3,547 KB)
Issue 4, March 2005
Film studies - now showing!
- Staff in the "hot seat"
- Graduation - time for a rethink?
The StAndard, issue 04 (PDF, 1,505 KB)
Issue 3, November 2004
The flying Scotsman
- Keeping it in the family.
- The changing face of wardens.
The StAndard, issue 03 (PDF, 1,444 KB)
Issue 2, June 2004
Food for thought
- Graduation: behind the scenes.
- Janitor's sci-fi secrets.
The StAndard, issue 02 (PDF, 1,338 KB)
Issue 1, March 2004
Men in black
- A degree on your doorstep.
- Dealing with spam.
- Excellence - who pays?
The StAndard, issue 01 (PDF, 1,365 KB)