Why this MSc?
- Companies are looking for well qualified scientists in this subject area, which underpins important parts of modern communications, medical physics, avionics, remote sensing, material processing, and analytical science, amongst others. Some examples of companies that have taken students for projects or employment are shown on these pages.
- This is a well-established vocational MSc course that has been running since 1981, though prior to 2001 it was called "Optoelectronics and Laser Devices".
- The course benefits from the substantial laser and optoelectronics research carried out at St Andrews and Heriot-Watt.
- The three-month industrial project is an ideal introduction to the optoelectronics and laser industry.
- The course content is planned in consultation with an Industrial Advisory Committee, to ensure that the material is relevant to the industry as well as academically sound.
- The well-resourced teaching laboratories at each site allow hands-on experience to explore relevant topics.
- St Andrews and Edinburgh are both interesting and pleasant places to live and work.