Hay Fleming Reference Library
The collection was a bequest to the town of St Andrews, in 1932, of the library of David Hay Fleming (1849-1931), Scottish historian and antiquary, and consists of around 13,000 volumes. The books are chiefly of the 19th and early 20th centuries, but include one incunabulum, many pre-1800 items and a volume bound for James Stewart (c1531-1570), Earl of Moray (the Regent Moray). The collection also includes Dr Hay Fleming's personal papers, letters and notebooks. The bulk of the collection is devoted to Scottish history, both general and ecclesiastical, and is especially strong in material relating to Mary Queen of Scots, and local history relating to Fife and St Andrews. The collection was deposited in the University Library in 2000.
The collection was catalogued and classified by University Library staff in the 1930s, and is available through a dedicated guard book catalogue, with additional card subject indexes. Supported by Revelation and Pamphlet and Polemic, records for part of the collection, particularly the Christian theology and church history books, are currently being added to SAULCAT. The collection has the prefix Hay.
Anthony Rodden: `The Hay Fleming Reference Library´, SLA News, 1974 (122), p109-113.