The University Muniment Collection - the archives of the institution itself and its constituent colleges - is held within the manuscripts department, under the care of the Keeper of Muniments, which post is at present combined with that of Keeper of Manuscripts.
The collection is divided into several parts: the records of the University as a body, of its constituent colleges, and of the Library. For brief descriptions of each of these collection areas, please refer to The Collections.
The Muniments date back to 1215 and represent the recorded history and corporate memory of the University of St Andrews. Much of the early material relates to the lands, titles and privileges of the University, which was founded by 1410-11 and confirmed by papal bull of Pope Benedict XIII in 1413.
There is material written in Latin, French and Scots as well as in English - indeed, Latin was the normal language for much of the written record up to the mid 18th century! The archive includes a huge range of material, including title deeds on vellum, some with medieval seals still attached, minutes, accounts, matriculation and graduation records and lists of students, maps and plans, photographs, administrative files and correspondence. The most recent material held is that which it has been decided is no longer of current administrative use.
There are various ways of finding out what is included within the University's archive. Details are given in the Access section below.
There are published editions of some of the core record series of the Muniments, and many books and articles which will illuminate aspects of the University's history. Details of a few particularly useful publications are given in the Publications section below.
Material identified within the University as being of historical value and worthy of archival retention can be transferred to Muniments for permanent preservation. For details of how to do this, please contact Rachel Hart, Muniments Archivist, at email@example.com.