Stall bookings outside the Main Library
Who can book and what for?
Student societies/charities/groups affiliated with the University or students working on projects for coursework can make bookings for the 3 ‘marketplace’ stall spaces outside the Main Library which are available for fundraising daily from Monday-Friday (2 spaces for ticket sales and 1 bake sale). Spaces are not available for canvassing on behalf of groups or charities or for information stands.
Booking requests are made through the Library Office on a first-come, first-served basis and should be made at least one week in advance, as spaces can get booked up very quickly - especially for bake sales. There is no charge for bookings. Other kinds of events may be booked if they are related to the University (society or charity links, course related, etc) and would be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you are unsure as to whether or not your booking is related, please contact the Library Office in the first instance to check.
How do I make a booking?
To make a booking, email the Library Office with the following information:
- Name of group/charity
- What the booking is for (ticket, bake sale, etc)
- Date requested
- Contact details of organiser
A response will be sent during office hours (Monday-Friday 09.00-17.00) to confirm the booking on the date requested or, if that date is already booked up, alternative dates will be offered instead.
Library Attendants are notified of bookings each day to ensure any groups outside are registered with the Library. If a group has not booked and there is space available, they will be asked to register with the Library Office. If there is no space available on the day, the group must make a booking for the next available day and leave the marketplace.
Conditions of booking
We request student groups to co-ordinate within their membership to ensure the Library does not receive multiple bookings for the same group. To ensure that every group has a chance to hold bake sales, only one booking for each group for each week will be taken.
All ticket and bake sales must be booked with the Library Office in advance. Any group without a booking will either be asked to register with the Library (if space is available that day) or asked to book for another day and then leave (if no spaces are available).
For Health & Safety reasons, the doorways and walkways must always be kept clear to allow Library users to enter and leave the building and tables should be set up at the side of the Library (near the windows) to ensure the walkway is not blocked.
- the Library is unable to provide furniture, equipment, electricity cables, power, etc. Groups should bring their own tables/chairs with them on the day, if required
- the Library does not have facilities to store furniture or goods on behalf of stall-holders
- the 6 large fixed picnic tables outside the Library belong to the Café and are not available for use
- due to the risk of fire, it is not possible to provide electricity for heating/cooking, and portable gas cookers/barbecues are not permitted
- banners/posters cannot be displayed on Library walls/windows
- No more than 2 groups outside selling tickets each day
- Groups are limited to 2 days per week for ticket sales (to allow for as many groups as possible each week)
- Only 1 bake sale held each day, to allow for groups to raise as much money as possible
- Groups are limited to one bake sale per week (to allow for as many groups as possible each week)
- Only 1 bake sale can be booked at a time by each group - multiple bookings are not accepted at this time