Stall bookings outside the Main Library
Who can book and what for?
Student societies/charities/groups affiliated with the University or students working on projects for coursework can make bookings for the three ‘marketplace’ stall spaces outside the Main Library which are available for fundraising on a daily basis from Monday-Friday (two spaces for event ticket sales and one bake sale). Spaces are not available for canvassing on behalf of groups or charities or for information, publicity or promotional stands.
Booking requests are made through the Library Office on a first-come, first-served basis and should be made at least one week in advance, as spaces can get booked up very quickly - especially for bake sales. There is no charge for bookings.
Please note that the marketplace is the only bookable area offered by the University. The gravel area (opposite the building and down to North Street) is not available for use at any time, with the only exception being the Students' Association elections.
How do I make a booking?
To make a booking, email the Library Office with the following information:
- Name of affiliated group/charity
- What the booking is for - either bake or ticket sales (for ticket sales please provide details of the event)
- Date requested
- Contact details of organiser
A response will be sent during office hours (Monday-Friday 09.00-17.00) to confirm the booking on the date requested or, if that date is already booked up, alternative dates will be offered instead. Bookings are not final until groups have received confirmation directly from the Library Office.
Library Attendants are notified of bookings each day to ensure any groups outside are registered with the Library. If a group has not booked and there is space available, they will be asked to register with the Library Office. If there is no space available on the day, the group must make a booking for the next available day and leave the marketplace.
Conditions of booking
We request student groups co-ordinate bookings within their membership to ensure the Library does not receive multiple bookings for the same group. To ensure that every group has a chance to hold bake sales, only one booking for each group for each week will be taken.
All event ticket and bake sales must be booked with the Library Office in advance. Any group without a booking will either be asked to register with the Library (if space is available that day) or asked to book for another day and then leave (if no spaces are available).
For Health & Safety reasons, the doorways and walkways must always be kept clear to allow Library users to enter and leave the building and tables should be set up at the side of the Library (near the windows) to ensure the walkway is not blocked.
- the Library is unable to provide furniture, equipment, electricity cables, power, etc. Groups should bring their own tables/chairs with them on the day, if required
- the Library does not have facilities to store furniture or goods on behalf of stall-holders
- the six large fixed picnic tables outside the Library belong to the Café and are not available for use
- due to the risk of fire, it is not possible to provide electricity for heating/cooking, and portable gas cookers/barbecues are not permitted
- banners/posters cannot be displayed on Library walls/windows
EVENT TICKET SALES
- No more than two groups outside selling tickets for events each day
- Groups are limited to two days per week for ticket sales (to allow for as many groups as possible each week)
- Only event tickets can be sold in these spaces and not any other items
- Only one bake sale held each day, to allow groups to raise as much money as possible
- Groups are limited to one bake sale per week (to allow as many groups as possible each week)
- Only one bake sale can be booked at a time by each group - multiple bookings are not accepted
- Only baked goods (cakes, biscuits, etc) can be sold in these spaces and not any other type of food or drink