Internship / career information
All of the resources listed below are on the Careers Centre website
For introductory IR subject page go to
Jobs and Work Experience
a) Careers A-Z at http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/careers/students/careerdecisions/careersa-z/
especially Conflict resolution, Human rights, Humanitarian aid, International organisations, Overseas development, Political risk analysis, Think tanks
b) Graduate jobs in the UK
Go to http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/careers/students/jobsandworkexperience/graduatejobs/ to access our databases of The GradOpps database will have more IR specifically related jobs.
c) Work experience in the UK
d) Jobs and internships in countries other than the UK, including North America
e) Internships in the US
f) IR Case studies : both work experience and graduate level
Enter International Relations in the subject search box
a) Click on Postgraduate study tab at http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/careers/
One to one help
g) For information on seeing an adviser
Click on the Adviser icon at http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/careers/
h) Networking: LinkedIn and Careers Alumni Network
See links from http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/careers/
Some further useful links:
- BASIC (British-American Security Information Council) www.basicint.org/jobs/ukinterns.htm internships in London and Washington
- Chatham House (the Royal Institute of International Affairs) www.chathamhouse.org.uk/about/internships/internship_information
- European Centre for Conflict Prevention www.conflict-prevention.net NGO that promotes effective conflict prevention and peacebuilding strategies.
- Foreign Policy Centre http://fpc.org.uk/internships internships in foreign policy think-tank
- Global Witness www.globalwitness.org investigates and campaigns to prevent natural resource-related conflict and corruption
- HTSPE www.htsdevelopment.com development consultancy
- Independent Diplomat www.independentdiplomat.com new non-profit venture in the world of international relations, diplomacy and conflict prevention, offering internships in London, New York, Washington and Brussels.
- Inkerman Group www.inkerman.com international business risk and intelligence company, based in Ashford. Occasionally recruit intelligence analysts.
- The Institute for War & Peace Reporting www.iwpr.net
- International Alert www.international-alert.org/about/jobs.php independent peacebuilding organisation
- International Crisis Group www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=1154&l=1
- Institute For Conflict Research www.conflictresearch.org.uk independent research organisation based in Belfast
- Jane's Information Group www.janes.com specialist research and publishing in the areas of defence and law enforcement. Recruits individuals with specialist knowledge in areas such as International Relations, Strategic Studies, War Studies and Politics and also runs an internship programme.
- Open Democracy www.opendemocracy.net Fundraising and media internships
- Oxford Analytica www.oxan.com Independent company providing analysis of world developments to business and government leaders. Recruits interns and conference assistants.
- Oxford Research Group www.oxfordresearchgroup.org.uk independent NGO working to promote a more sustainable approach to security
- Panos Institute www.panos.org.uk produces information for media on global development issues with a developing world perspective
- Peace Brigades International www.peacebrigades.org
- Peace Child International www.peacechild.org recruits volunteers for work in the UK, India and at the White House
- Peace Direct www.peacedirect.org volunteer opportunities
- Peaceworkers UK www.peaceworkers.org.uk Part of International Alert, provides training and research. Anyone with a serious interest in working in the field of conflict prevention, crisis management and peacebuilding can sign up to their online register.
- Quaker Peace And Social Witness www.quaker.org.uk recruits one-year peaceworkers to serve in Geneva and around the UK. The site also includes links to other related organisations
- Rights & Humanit* www.rightsandhumanity.org interns are involved in research and programme work
- RUSI ( Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies) www.rusi.org/about/vacancies
- Saferworld www.saferworld.org.uk works to prevent violence in places affected by violent crime, conflict and the impact of small arms and light weapons
- VERTIC www.vertic.org (Verification Research, Training and Information Centre) - promotes effective and efficient verification as a means of ensuring confidence in the implementation of international agreements.
- War Child www.warchild.org.uk works with children affected by war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. Recruits interns
- Westminster Foundation For Democracy www.wfd.org independent public body (funded by the FCO) working to achieve sustainable political change in emerging democracies. No formal internship programme, but occasional short-term opportunities.
- NATO Parliamentary Assembly Research Assistant and Intern programmes
- Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik www.swp-berlin.org German Institute for International and Security Affairs
Idealist.org is a good database for internships and jobs that is always kept up to date
- Karamah: Muslim Women Lawyers for Human Rights http://karamah.org/ABOUT/CareerOpportunities/tabid/141/language/en-US/Default.aspx#Internships
- Seeds of Peace http://www.seedsofpeace.org/getinvolved/careers
- Search for Common Ground http://www.sfcg.org/jobs/internships
- Aspen Institute http://hostedjobs.openhire.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.allpositions&company_id=16049&version=1&tosearch=no&keywords=&startflag=0
- U.S. Campaign to End the Occupation http://www.endtheoccupation.org/downloads/Summer%202011%20Internship.pdf
- Just Vision http://www.justvision.org/en/page/jobs-internships-volunteering
- Freedom House http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=13
- American Councils for International Education http://www.americancouncils.org/employmentList.php
- Council on Foreign Relations http://www.cfr.org/about/career_opportunities/internships.html
- International Coalition of Sites of Conscience http://www.sitesofconscience.org/about-us/jobs-and-internships/en/
- German Marshall Fund http://www.gmfus.org/cs/about_gmf/career/career_opportunities
- National Conference of State Legislatures http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?TabID=788&tabs=856,33,816#856
- American Society of International Law http://www.asil.org/job-internship-opportunities.cfm
- Conservation International http://tbe.taleo.net/NA8/ats/careers/jobSearch.jsp?org=CONSERVATION&cws=1
- Center for International Policy http://www.ciponline.org/handbook.htm
- Brookings Institute http://www.brookings.edu/about/employment.aspx
- British Council http://www.britishcouncil.org/usa-about-us-career-opportunities.htm
- Institute for Communitarian Policy Studies http://icps.gwu.edu/about/jobs-internships/