Assessment Criteria for Coursework in Taught Programmes
The criteria that govern the evaluation of assessed coursework reflect the following desiderata:
- The candidate will show evidence of independent thought and work.
- Papers will be logically structured and expressed in clear and grammatical English prose.
- Candidates must display a capacity for argument and an understanding of relevant evidence.
- Competence must be demonstrated in conceptual and historiographical issues as well as in empirical or descriptive elements of the subject.
- Papers will normally engage with primary sources.
- Each paper must be presented in accordance with the departmental style-sheet (available on the School website) and contain a full and structured bibliography.
- Each paper must be presented in accordance with the School of History style-sheet and
contain a full and structured bibliography.