What other opportunities will I have?
In recent years, doctoral research has transformed from a sometimes lonely scholastic pursuit to more dynamic, multi-dimensional academic apprenticeship. Whilst writing your thesis is still the major aim of your three years, you will also gain a number of other skills during this period which are essential for entrance into the current job market – these include:
- Experience presenting your work at conferences (perhaps utilising your £300 research grant to travel overseas)
- Participation in and running of specifically designed workshops and symposia, study days and conferences
- Teaching tutorials for sub-honours modules
- Editing Frames, the official journal of BAFTSS (the British Association for Film, Television and Screen Studies)
- Producing the department’s newsletter, received by 1200 Film Studies academics worldwide
- Publication of various types of material (book reviews, articles, edited collections, etc)
- Applying for grants.