Skip navigation to content

Language requirements

The University of St Andrews welcomes students from all over the world. We require our applicants to demonstrate a level of English language ability that will allow them to fully benefit from their chosen degree programme. We set our specific English language requirements at a level designed to ensure that your English ability is good enough to study successsfully.

The University accepts a wide range of language tests and high school qualifications as evidence of English language proficiency and the English language requirement we set depends on the level you will be studying at.

Which is my level of study?

A pre-degree student is studying one of the following:

An undergraduate is studying for/on a Bachelor's degree:

  • Faculty of Arts
    • MA
    • BA (International Honours)
  • Faculty of Science
    • BSc
    • MBiochem
    • MChem
    • MGeol
    • MMath
    • MPhys
    • MSci
  • Faculty of Divinity
    • MA
    • MTheol
  • Faculty of Medicine
    • Bsc

A postgraduate student already has a Bachelor's (BSc, BA or equivalent) and is coming to study for a further degree:

  • Taught
    • MLitt, MSc
    • PG Diploma
    • Graduate Diploma
    • Postgraduate Certificate
    • MFA in Creative Writing
  • Research
    • MPhil
    • MRes
    • PhD
    • DSc
    • EngD
    • MD

Language evidence for visa applications

If you need a student Tier 4 visa to study in the UK the UK Home Office changed the rules about language tests for visas, with effect from 06 April 2015.

If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate student this should not affect you because the University will continue to accept a range of qualifications as evidence of your English language proficiency. These are listed on the undergraduate and postgraduate pages.

However, if you are going to take a pre-sessional course or you are applying to study on a Foundation, Presearch or Pre-Masters Programme you should refer to our pre-degree page for advice on IELTS certificates dated before 06 April 2015 and taking IELTS for UKVI purposes.

Providing your evidence of English language proficiency to the University

Do not wait for your test results before you apply. You do not need to submit evidence of your English Language proficiency when you apply to the University.

If you have not yet achieved the minimum language requiremet when you apply to the University, this will form part of any conditional offer we make you. We may recommend or require you to attend one of our pre-sessional programmes.

If you have already achieved the required language level, please include the details along with your other qualifications in the appropriate section of your application form.