N T Wright
Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity
Prof. Wright is interested in supervising doctoral work (a) on Paul and (b) on the gospels.
Information on the application process for PhD studies: read more...
A extensive external website featuring Prof. Wright's work is also available.
Abbreviated details are provided, below.
- 2010— Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity, University of St Andrews
- 2003-10 Bishop of Durham
- 2000–3 Canon of Westminster (‘Lector Theologiae’, i.e. Canon Theologian); SPCK Research Fellow
- 1994–99 Dean of Lichfield
- 1986–93 Lecturer in New Testament Studies, Oxford University; Fellow, Tutor and Chaplain of Worcester College, Oxford
- 1981–86 Assistant Professor of New Testament Language and Literature, McGill University, Montreal; also Honorary Professor, Montreal Diocesan Theological College
- 1978–81 Fellow and Chaplain, Downing College, Cambridge; College Tutor in Theology
- 1975–78 Junior Research Fellow, Merton College, Oxford, and College Tutor in Theology; from 1976, also Junior Chaplain; from 1977, Acting Lecturer in Theology
(i) University of Oxford: Exeter College (from 1975, Merton College):
- 2000 D.D. (published work submitted, principally The New Testament and the People of God, The Climax of the Covenant and Jesus and the Victory of God)
- 1981 D.Phil. (Thesis topic: ‘The Messiah and the People of God: A Study in Pauline Theology with Particular Reference to the Argument of the Epistle to the Romans’; supervisor: Prof. G.B. Caird)
- 1975 M.A.
- 1973 B.A. (1st class Honours), Theology; Denyer and Johnson Prize (shared) for top first class of year; College Prize
- 1971 B.A. (1st class Honours), Literae Humaniores; College Prize
Half-blue in Rugby Fives; College 1st VIII (Rowing); President, Bishop Jewel Society (1969-70); President, Oxford Inter-Collegiate Christian Union (1970-71)
(ii) Sedbergh School, Yorkshire, 1962–68: specialised in Classics. School Colours for cricket, rugby, music and athletics
Rugby: Northumberland County Under-19 XV
This list contains Prof. Wright's most recent monographs (2008 onwards). For a full list of monographs and articles please see the external website. Books (excluding ‘popular’ level works; more strictly academic publications marked *)
2013 - *Paul and the Faithfulness of God. Vol. IV of Christian Origins and the Question of God. London: SPCK; Minneapolis: Fortress (forthcoming) (three separate ‘volumes’)
2012 - How God Became King. San Francisco: HarperOne; London: SPCK
2011 - Simply Jesus: The Coming of the King. London: SPCK; San Francisco: HarperOne
2011 - The New Testament for Everyone. London: SPCK. Published in USA as The Kingdom New Testament: A Contemporary Translation. San Francisco: HarperOne (my full translation of the NT, taken from the various ‘Everyone’ volumes)
2011 - Revelation for Everyone. London: SPCK; Louisville: WJKP
2011 - Early Christian Letters for Everyone. London: SPCK; Louisville: WJKP
2011 - Scripture and the Authority of God, second edn with two substantial new chapters. London: SPCK; San Francisco: HarperOne (former American title: The Last Word)
2010 - *Virtue Reborn (US title After You Believe). London: SPCK; San Francisco: HarperOne
2009 - *Justification: God’s Plan and Paul’s Vision. London: SPCK; Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press.
2008 - Acts for Everyone. London: SPCK; Louisville: Westminster John Knox