The minimum entry requirements for each degree programme can be found in the Degrees and their Entry Requirements - 2014 Entry (PDF, 552 KB) details.
However, in addition to these, you will need to satisfy other more general academic requirements depending on your chosen Faculty. Please note that meeting the Faculty Entrance Requirements does not guarantee the offer of a place.
Faculty of Arts
In addition to the specific subject entry requirements, candidates must also possess the following minimum qualifications, although the Dean of Faculty has the authority to exempt applicants from one or more of these:
SQA Credit Level Standard Grade, GCSE (A or B) or equivalent, or IB at least Standard IB Level, in English and Mathematics.
It is also desirable that candidates possess the following minimum qualifications:
SQA Credit Level Standard Grade, GCSE (A or B) or equivalent, or IB at least Standard IB Level in a language other than English (with the exception of Modern Languages students who will have higher entry requirements).
Faculty of Divinity
There are no special subjects required for students entering the Faculty of Divinity, other than a pass at Standard Grade or GCSE or its equivalent in English.
Faculty of Science
Prior to admission to study in the Faculty, a student must have gained SQA Standard Grade (1 or 2) or GCSE (A or B) or equivalent in English and Mathematics AND at least two Highers (H) OR at least one GCE A level, or equivalent, in the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Geography (or Geology), Mathematics, Physics, Psychology.
For applicants taking the International Baccalaureate the requirement is: at least Standard IB Level in:Mathematics and English. A Higher IB Level pass is required in at least two of the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geography (or Geology), Mathematics, Physics, Psychology.
The Dean may grant exemption from these conditions.
Faculty of Medicine
Please see the Faculty of Medicine website for full details.
- Advanced Highers. The University regards it as important that an applicant who has started a programme of study should complete it satisfactorily unless special circumstances are involved. This is particularly true when the programme of study has been listed on a UCAS application. For SQA-qualified candidates, offers may be made in terms of Advanced Higher grades as well as Highers. It may be possible to enter into the second year of a Faculty of Science degree programme with Advanced Highers.
- AS-levels. For GCSE-qualified candidates, offers may be made in terms of AS-levels as well as A-levels. We do not admit on the basis of AS-levels alone.
- Access Courses. Candidates may also satisfy the entrance requirements by successful completion of special entry or Access courses. The Admissions Application Centre will answer questions about other examinations.
- Mature students. Applications from mature candidates are welcome and entry requirements may be relaxed for such candidates (except in the Faculty of Medicine) in the light of other qualifications and/or experience.
- Other UK qualifications such as Open University credits may be accepted in full or partial satisfaction of the Faculty Entrance Requirements.
- International students whose first language is not English must have a certain level of English which can be indicated either by a satisfactory score in Language requirements or other proof of English language proficiency such as a high level of achievement within an international qualification.