Sustainability at the University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews contributes social, economic and environmental benefits in a number of ways. As a result of the provision of excellence in teaching and research, the University has delivered significant benefits to local, national and global communities. The University's reputation and its physical presence in Fife, Scotland means that it also has considerable responsibilities in terms of its operations and future developments on the institution's land and buildings. The University of St Andrews significantly shapes and influences the minds of students and staff who learn and work here and whose actions are informed by the leadership shown by the University's governing body. The skills that students who leave St Andrews with should include a knowledge of sustainability principles.
Sustainability is firmly rooted within the University's governance processes and principles. This governance includes ensuring that the basic fundamentals of environmental compliance are coupled with ongoing improvements in environmental management performance.
The University of St Andrews has a mission to be recognised locally and internationally as a world-class institution that leads by example, fully integrating sustainable development into all that we do.
The University of St Andrews is committed to continuing to understand and improve its performance with respect to sustainable development. The University works within the UK Government's framework policy approach, which entails meeting four objectives at the same time:
- Social progress that recognises the needs of everyone.
- Effective protection of the environment.
- Prudent use of natural resources.
- Maintenance of high and stable levels of economic growth and employment.
These objectives are embodied within our SD Policy and Strategy as we address the following areas:
- Teaching and learning for Sustainable Development
- Research and knowledge exchange for a sustainable future
- Living within our environmental limits
- Promoting a healthy and just society
- Advocacy and civil leadership